This introduction series is divided into the following sections; each section can be read separately or on its own.
- Program Principles – describes the five key principles that should underpin the management and delivery of our programs.
- The Program Lifecycle – provides an overview of the organisation’s program lifecycle and how it fits in to the organisation’s portfolio lifecycle.
- Program Management Processes – defines the four program phases: Identify, Define, Deliver and Close also included are the associated steps in each phase. This section can be used as a methodology reference.
What is Program Management?
Program Management is defined as follows:
‘A temporary flexible organisation created to coordinate, direct and oversee the implementation of a set of related projects and activities in order to deliver outcomes and benefits related to the organisation’s strategic objectives’. A program integrates projects to deliver an outcome greater than the sum of its parts.
What is the Program Management Framework?
The program management framework supports Program Managers in applying their skills to ensure a predictable and consistent approach to delivery. The framework includes the:
- Organisation of people i.e. the roles and responsibilities of the program management team members
- Implementation of processes
- Use of tools and techniques
- Templates and guides.
Use of the Program Management Framework is mandatory but may be tailored to the program (as agreed with the Sponsoring Group). Part of the framework includes the program lifecycle. This is a logical and standard way of organising the activities and decisions required to take a program throughout its entire lifecycle from identify, through define and delivery, to program closure. The grouping of program activities in this way better enables a Program Manager and the Program Management Team to efficiently plan and organise resources for each activity. It also enables the objective measurement of goals and justification of decisions to move ahead, correct or terminate the program.